What extraordinary things will happen in the app ecosystem in 2013 ? nothing.
our 2012 predictions were mostly OK.
- Apple will still dominate by far the app ecosystem in terms of payout.
- Apple will pass 1m live apps in the App store and will announce it at WWDC
- WWDC tickets will sell out in 14 seconds, maybe before they even get on sale.
- Apps will come to Apple TV. This time for good
- Snapchat will get acquired by Facebook or Google. Without making a dollar
- Instagram will add a couple of filters and this will make the NYT cover.
- Apple maps will get good. Not sure how; maybe through an acquisition
- Mobile advertising will still suck in 2013: a huge chunk of the ad inventory will be of low quality or run by bots
- Facebook will emerge as a valuable alternative to traditional mobile ad networks and will hit some of the big names out there
- Mobile messaging consolidation: Viber, Text+, Pinger, Line, Wechat, Tango, Kik, Whatsapp…..you got it…
- SuperCell x 10: those guys are not done.
- Microsoft will have a hard time getting developer’s priority attention in spite of massive investments
- Google will finally get Gmail app right but will be seriously challenged by a killer email native app [that they will have to buy again]
- Twitter will buy Tweetbot. No choice
- No Television set by Apple [damn!]
- No smart watch by Apple [double damn!]
- No Facebook phone [triple damn!]